Quotables

But what do I know? I'm just a twice clicken brown shirt teabaggin tjroll. Right? --PatP

Not now. There are dirty, swaying men at my door. They’re looking for Brian. I need to go deal with that. --Thor

If Joss Wedon was near me, I'd of kicked his ass. --PaulC

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Geocaching

Okay. So it turns out I'm going to Alaska next summer, and I got an idea. I'm gonna try a geocaching experiment. I'm gonna take a hike somewhere, and hide/bury a cheap-ass digital camera with a huge-ass memory card in a weatherproof container with a note: "take a picture of yourself and put the camera back exactly where you found it."

I need a camera that is cheap, uses a standard memory card (ie, SD or CF), and uses a standard-size, commercially available power source (ie, AA batteries). I don't want to spend a lot of money, I don't want to be upset about the equipment getting damaged, and I want it to still be there when I go back for it, and who knows when that will be. I'll also need a weatherproof container. I'm going to do some tests on different containers in the rain, snow, cold, hot... I think that's it. I suppose some kind of marker would be a good idea as well. So I can say "go to these coordinates and look for the cat-shaped paperweight." I suppose it would be smarter to mark a tree or something that can't be moved.

So I'll post on my website, and on geocaching websites, and do whatever else I can think of to make people know about my camera, and when I go back for it (or get somebody I know who lives in Alaska to mail it to me), I'll post all the photos on my website. Just sounds like fun.

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions about any aspect of this undertaking?

2 comments:

  1. I dig it.
    So why not do a local geocache with a camera as a test? If the test goes bad it will be near by and no biggy. If you do your first one in Alaska, you're hosed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I'm going to Wal-mart. Know any geocaching websites?

    ReplyDelete